Are you looking for a career with us at The National Lobster Hatchery? Check our updated job list below and look to be part of this team of dedicated, motivated and fun staff. Please do check on a regular basis so not to miss out, or give us a call on 01841 533877 to discuss.
VACANCIES for Seasonal Visitor Centre Staff
Closing date for applications 9th June 2016 The posts are to provide additional cover in our busy visitor centre du...
VACANCY – Part time Bookkeeper
Closing date for applications: 25th Feb 2016, interview date: 3rd March 2016. Hourly paid, Part time 2 days a week,...
VACANCY – Research and Development Assistant
Closing Date for Applications: 25th February 2016 £20,500 Based at the National Lobster Hatchery, Padstow, some w...
Inviting applications for a fully funded PhD – Using physiology to improve lobster aquaculture
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday, 31 January 2016. PhD Studentship – Using physiology...
Want to do your bit to help sustainability of lobster stocks in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly? Are you able to give us a little bit of your spare time? Are you looking for work experience to boost your CV? Do you have a skill that you think would benefit our Charity? We are looking for a special team of people, with lots of different skills and passions, to help deliver the charity’s mission, whether you can spare a few hours a week, one day a month or even more, we need you! In order for us to provide an effective voluntary position it tends to work better if either you can commit to 1 or 2 days a week long term, or if it’s a one off placement, we ask for a minimum of a month’s commitment. We get a lot of requests for volunteering as it is such a unique project, and if you are lucky enough to be selected, we want you to make the most out of the opportunity.Assistant hatchery technicians
- Feeding post larvae, juveniles, broodstock, and aquarium exhibits
- Cleaning tanks
- Water quality/chemistry checks
- Assisting with the husbandry of brood stock
- A qualification in a relevant science which includes issues of sustainability and fisheries management preferred but not essential
- Greeting the general public
- Answering questions/queries from the public about the work undertaken at the hatchery
- Retail and aspects of sale (working in the shop)
- Data entry for gift aid
- This position requires basic computer knowledge and references to be provided
- Attending any of our events which includes fun events like The Big Swim, The Big Run, Fish Festivals etc
- Conversing with the general public about the important work that is undertaken at the hatchery
- Making the public aware they can become “Friends of the Hatchery” to show their support
- Applicants for this position must be friendly, approachable and confident
- General maintenance and painting
- Carpentry work
- Clearing and sweeping
- Painting the outside and inside of the hatchery
- Helping hatchery staff with modifications to the hatchery system
- support with web sales including Amazon and Ebay
- plenty of variety in the office, just answering the telephone would help
_____________________________________________________________________________________________One of our previous Volunteers Charlotte Preston started volunteered with us to gain relevant work experience, having graduated from an Environmental Tourism & Sustainability degree. Months later, we were able to offer her paid work through the Access to Work Scheme to support a member of our research team in the hatchery. She was undertaking mirco-biological analysis of lobster larvae & water samples and morphometric analysis of larvae & juveniles for our Framework 7 Research project. She also gained practical experience of husbandry techniques and the life support systems within the hatchery. With her new found practical experience and a glowing reference, Charlotte gained full time employment in 2011 with the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth as an Aquarist and Diver.