Fisheries & Aquaculture
- Aquaculture without Frontiers Founded in 2004 by Michael New, OBE Aquaculture without Frontiers (AwF) is an independent non-profit organisation that promotes and supports responsible and sustainable aquaculture and the alleviation of poverty by improving livelihoods in developing countries.
- Bite Back Shark & Marine Conservation Bite-Back is an influential and pioneering shark and marine conservation organisation with a mission to halt the trade and consumption of vulnerable fish species, promote sustainable fishing, protect ocean habitats and inspire worldwide respect for the marine environment.
- Centre for Environment, Fisheries & Aquaculture Science Cefas is an internationally renowned aquatic scientific research and consultancy centre. We aim to be the prime source of high quality science used to conserve and enhance the aquatic environment, promote sustainable management of its natural resources, and protect the public from aquatic contaminants.
- Cornwall IFCA, Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority Cornwall IFCA is responsible for marine fisheries and environmental management in our inshore waters and estuaries. Cornwall IFCA will lead, champion and manage a sustainable marine environment and inshore fisheries. It will do this by successfully securing the right balance between environmental and economic benefits to ensure healthy seas, sustainable fisheries and a viable future.
- The Duchy Fish Quota Company The Duchy Fish Quota Company was established in 2001 by members of the fishing industry who were extremely concerned at the trade in fish quota and the impact this is having on the Cornish fishing industry.
- European Community Reference Laboratory for Crustacean Diseases Increasing production and the movement of live and commodity products have led to the emergence of several internationally important crustacean diseases in recent years – these impacting upon farm production and the potential for future expansion to meet global needs.
- Fish Fight – Half of all fish caught in the North Sea are thrown back overboard dead. Join Hugh’s Fish Fight and stop discards.
- Greenpeace – Support the ‘Be a Fisherman’s Friend’ campaign today. We want a Common Fisheries Policy that supports sustainable fishing, ends discards and puts the health of our seas first.
- Newlyn Harbour, Englands largest fishing port.
- Norwegian Lobster Farm A/S A site about Norwegian lobster farming.
- Pew Trusts Pew’s ocean work includes efforts to create large marine reserves; end illegal fishing; protect key species such as penguins, sharks, tuna and forage fish; and establish policies that protect, maintain, and restore the health of marine ecosystems.
- The Shark Trust is the UK charity for shark conservation. The Trust works to advance the worldwide conservation of sharks through science, education, influence and action.
- Shellfish Association of Great Britain The industry’s trade body based at Fishmongers’ Hall, London. Our membership is composed of shellfish farmers, groups of fishermen, commercial traders and companies, many of the Sea Fisheries Committees, but also organisations such as Seafish, as well as experts, scientists and consultants.
- Sustainable Fish City With your help, London could become the first ever Sustainable Fish City. Protect precious marine environments and fishing livelihoods, call for fish to be bought from sustainable sources.
- The Sustainable Restaurant Association is a not for profit membership organisation helping restaurants become more sustainable and diners make more sustainable choices when dining out.
- W Harvey & Sons has its own small fleet of shellfish boats operating from Newlyn, but acts as a major south west shellfish merchant, buying catches from vessels all over Cornwall, Devon and beyond. Shellfishing is an environmentally sound fishery. It does not kill porpoises, dolphins or seals. Anything that is too small from the pot is put back into the sea to carry on breeding , as are berried lobsters and crabs.
- Blue Marine Foundation is a new UK charity founded in 2010 by the people behind the film The End of the Line. BLUE exists to fix the largest solvable problem on the planet – the crisis in the oceans.
- Client Earth is an organisation of activist lawyers committed to securing a healthy planet. We work in Europe and beyond, bringing together law, science and policy to create progmatic solutions to key environmental challenges.
- The End of the Line Book & Film ‘How Overfishing Is Changing the World and What We Eat’, by Charles Clover is not against fishing. It is not against eating fish. But it is for a responsible attitude towards the oceans. We hope that when people buy fish in a shop or in restaurant, they will ask where it comes from; whether it is from a sustainable source, whether it is an endangered or over-exploited species.
- Fish2Fork Find out where you can eat fish with a clear conscience. This website rates restaurants that serve fish, not only for the quality of their food but also for the effect they are having on the seas and on marine life.
- Fishing for Litter South West Project is a collaboration between KIMO and Seafood Cornwall Training Ltd to encourage skippers of fishing vessels to land litter they catch in their nets during their normal fishing activities.
- Good Catch Good Catch provide clear, consistent information and practical support and training, specifically designed to help restaurants and related businesses improve the sustainability of the seafood they buy, serve and promote.
- Marine Conservation Society MCS campaigns for clean seas and beaches, sustainable fisheries, and protection for all marine life.
- River Cottage Sustainability at River Cottage, Targeting zero carbon . . .
- Save our Seas Foundation Its purpose is to implement and support diverse programmes aimed at education, protection and conservation of the marine environment around the world.
- The Lobster Conservancy Sustaining a thriving lobster fishery through science and community.
- World Wildlife Fund As part of the international WWF network, WWF-UK addresses global threats to people and nature such as climate change, the peril to endangered species and habitats, and the unsustainable consumption of the world’s natural resources.
- What Uni Top Universities for Marine Biology courses in the UK
- Cornwall College Marine & Natural Environment courses. What is more exciting or enigmatic than the life in our oceans? We still know so little about this alien world which makes up 98% of the living space on our planet, but with technology developing at such a pace more and more discoveries are being made. It is an exciting time to be involved.
- North Atlantic Fisheries College Regular updates on aquaculture from Scotland.
- The University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus Related courses.
- University of Plymouth School of Biological Sciences at the University of Plymouth, Devon, UK – related degree courses and research.
Buy One, Set One Free Sponsors whether its sustainable seafood restaurants & fishmongers worthy of your custom or a lobster loving artist with a passion for sustainability
- Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack, London is a clarion call to British Seafood; a nostalgic journey to the seaside holidays of our youth; a showcase of the best produce from British shores; a seaside restaurant in the city.
- Black Bream, London A very British take on Tapas. Black Bream is a neighbourhood restaurant specialising in seasonal small plates and exceptional wines from independent growers.
- Catch Restaurant just yards from the beach at Mawgan Porth
- The Cods & Scallops Fine Fish & Chips at Sherwood, Wollaton & Long Eaton. The Cod’s Scallops was created by John Molnar, who used his 30 years of chef and business experience to get onboard a skilled crew, source the finest produce and set sail a fish and chip concept like no other. “I wanted to showcase and serve up the best fish being caught around our isles in a fun and family-friendly environment.”
- Cornwall Food & Drink Everything we do is about helping local food and drink businesses – to understand trends, to develop best practice and to get ahead of the game. To delight new audiences. To help build brands. And yes to help them make more money. To employ more people. To be able to pay them better. To train them better. 50p on every ‘Great Cornish Food Book’ and ‘Great Cornish Fish Book’ is donated to the National Lobster Hatchery.
- Fish for Thought Order the finest fresh fish and seafood online, delivered nationwide direct from Cornwall. Fish for Thought take a proactive approach to the sustainability and environmental issues affecting our industry.
- Fish Kitchen Borough Market Established in 1999, fish! was the first restaurant of its kind in London. Our concept is simple: providing our customers with the best quality fish, cooked in front of you, in simple and classic ways. Since 1999 our focus has never changed, quality and responsible sourcing is still our main concern… we just look a bit more fancy now!
- The Harbour Seafood Restaurant & Takeaway, Plymouth. It’s not just the unbelievable taste which draws people back, it’s also the beautiful location. Our tables are just metres from the water’s edge nestled in the hustle and bustle of one of the Southwest’s most historic harbours. All our seafood is responsibly caught, handled with care and can be traced right back to a sustainable source.
- Island Fish Suppliers of high quality fish and shellfish to the Isles of Scilly for generations. Brand new island fish shop opened April 2018.
- Karma St Martins, Isles of Scilly – a stone’s throw from the beach and a world apart from everyday life. From a distance, our newest resort appears as a hamlet of traditional stone cottages. Step inside and it’s revealed as a luxurious contemporary hotel, complete with ocean views, classic English interior design (with an eclectic twist) and a soulful Karma Spa.
- Kate Jenkins Studio textile artist with a fascination for food, like lobster bisque or a tin of sardines only reinventing them in wool. 10% of sales from the Tinned Lobster Bisque Print are donated to the NLH.
- The Kings Arms, Mevagissey First in Bristol then … in 2014 we landed in Mevagissey! What a place to land; fresh shellfish straight from the bay, meat & veg from the land that surrounds us. With this fantastic produce Kris cooks up a variety of delicious meals from Whole Lobster to Pheasant Pasties. Behind that red door, within this beautiful building you will find a welcoming pub, wine shop, bakery and food school; A Public House
- Le Homard Frites our first international BOSOF restaurant in Vannes, France
- Longstore Lodge & Café, Isles of Scilly – now running Lobster Nights every second Friday. Learn from owner & local fisherman Colin Jenkins about Scillonian shell fishing and lobster stock preservation before enjoying a lobster buffet dinner.
- The Longstore Steaks & Seafood Restaurant in Charlestown, Cornwall
- Melton’s Restaurant – Melton’s is a fine dining restaurant serving modern British food and it is Michael’s position as Chef Proprietor, which has made it one of York’s leading restaurants. Michael’s focus is on sustainability, seasonality and supporting the local and regional economy.
- The Oyster Shack at Bigbury – Our mission is to serve the freshest locally sourced and sustainable oysters, shellfish and seafood in the land… all in a quirky, cosy shack environment with heaps of soul. We think one of our loyal Shackers and legendary food critic; Tom Parker Bowles describes us well as: “A restaurant with heart“.
- Padstow Brewing Company – have developed a wheat beer to complement lobster and seafood for the National Lobster Hatchery. 10p for every bottle sold will be donated to the National Lobster Hatchery.
- Porthminster Café – Nestled beneath the steep slopes of Porthminster Point, right on the beach with unbeatable and uninterrupted views across St Ives Bay to Godrevy Lighthouse. Porthminster Cafe in St Ives is a multi award winning seafood restaurant.
- Prawn on the Lawn – Prawn on the Lawn is a fully licensed fishmonger and restaurant in Islington and Padstow serving only the freshest seafood and tapas-style fish dishes.
- Randall & Aubin, Manchester for delicious food, the best ingredients, and a fabulous dining experience. Whether hunting for oysters, on the look out for succulent rotisserie meats, or simply enjoying a martini at the bar underneath the glittering Disco Ball, we hope you’re ready to lose a few hours with us.
- Riddle & Finns Champagne & Oyster Bar – Brighton. Taking inspiration from the high end liquor shops and oyster bars of New York city and Paris we pride ourselves in offering our diners an impressive culinary experience.
- Sankey’s Restaurants Kent Dining Pub of the Year 2008, Seafood Brasserie & Oyster Bar. Matthew Sankey buys all his lobsters from Cornwall as he believes them to be the best in the world. As a keen supporter of the Lobster Hatchery and the Cornish fishery, he has agreed to donate the cost of raising and releasing a lobster back into the wild, for every Lobster that is served in Sankey’s.
- Seadog specialise in innovative world food inspired dishes that take our local Devon catch on a journey across the globe picking up influence from Asia, the Middle East, Europe, latin America and beyond. We can be found at events and festivals across Devon and the South West where our menus focus on fresh local fish and seafood.
- Snob Lobster Fed up with seeing the same burger bars and catering facilities offering substandard service at events and weddings the innovators of Snob Lobster set out to create a mobile catering company that would offer a new product, not yet seen at events that was produced to a high standard and always served with a polite smile.
- Trevisker’s Kitchen & Dining Enjoy something lovely from this kitchen, set on the grounds of the Trevisker Garden Centre just outside of Padstow.
- Wings of St Mawes, The Cornish Fishmonger A long established Cornish business offering lobster and other seafood to customers nationwide. ‘I’ve been buying fish and seafood from local fishermen since the early 1980’s, during this time I’ve seen plenty of changes in the fishing industry, most for the better but some not so good. We are committed to a healthy future for Cornish fish and fishing. We fully support the responsible fishing schemes operated by the Seafish Industry Authority’.
- East Coast Avocet Blog by Mike Warner “I am a self-confessed seafoodholic, with a deep-seated passion for the life of the shallow seas around our coast. I’m all about catching, cooking, and eating responsibly-caught fish and shellfish. I have a particular weakness for lobster!”
- Fresh from the Sea, in Port Isaac specialises in sustainable Cornish Fish, Mackerel and Pollack that are caught by Calum using a handline. Calum has his own boat to catch crab and lobster that are brought straight up the hill to the fresh fish shop – it really is FRESH from the sea. Both are recognised as sustainable fisheries by the MSC.
- Seabed Informatics Ltd A source of marine sciences and nautical ebooks, books, software, news and consultancy.The Fish & Seafood Daily – A fascinating website on all things fishy from around the world, science based articles so a great resource.
- Trevor Corson Trevor Corson, Author of ‘The Secret Life of Lobsters’ and known as ‘The Lobster Sex Guy’ – he travels around the USA giving presentations that use humour to teach biology and conservation. You can buy the book from our Little Shop of Lobsters. It’s a great read.
- Brilliant Fish Felicity Sylvester (Lobster Hypnotist & Course Tutor) – Felicity runs seafood cookery workshops and courses. Tel. 01579 343341
Tourist Information in and around Padstow
- Chycor Tourist information for Padstow and Cornwall (accommodation, restaurants, attractions, activities)coast Cornwall Sustainable Tourism Project Working with everyone involved in tourism in Cornwall to ensure tourism delivers social, economic and environmental benefit to Cornwall, as well as a fantastic holiday for all our visitors.
- Cornwall Association of Tourist Attractions (CATA) – What ever your taste, CATA offers the very latest in action, cultural and heritage attractions. From Cornwall’s ancient past and stunning natural beauty, to new and innovative fun experiences.
- Cornwall Guide On-Line a fantastic comprehensive guide of things to do in Cornwall. Get inspired!
- Cornwall Tourist Board A resource for tourism in Cornwall.
- Eat Out Cornwall The essential guide to Eating Out at restaurants in Cornwall and much more.
- Harbour Holidays specialise in luxury holiday homes and coastal retreats around the Padstow and North Cornwall area.
- Holiday Cottages offer a superb range of cottage holidays throughout the UK in such beautiful destinations as Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset and the Cotswolds with properties sleeping from 2 to 22.
- Padstow Art Group
- Padstow Cycle Hire (right next to the Lobster Hatchery) The camel trail winds its way along the river Camel and follows the disused railway line all the way through Wadebridge to Bodmin making it virtually level and traffic free. As well as a full range of bikes to suit all ages and ability we have a large selection of other products such as tandems, trailers and tagalongs.
- Padstow Museum while you’re in Padstow pop in to the museum and discover its history and local characters.
- Padstow Tourist Information Centre For all your accommodation, attractions and activities in the area.
- Rick Stein Rick Stein Seafood School & Restaurants, Padstow, Cornwall
- Stay in Cornwall We have an extensive range of cottages in seaside locations where you can wake to the sound of gulls and a view of the ocean and in rural retreats set amid green rolling hills and fields dotted with gently grazing livestock.
- Visit Cornwall, the official Cornwall Tourist Board website In the last decade Cornwall has emerged as one of the world’s iconic destinations. From the dramatic coastline of the north to the sheltered bays in the south, from ancient moorland to soft river estuaries, surfers, walkers, sailing buffs, gastronauts and visitors simply seeking a break from a hectic world have discovered a fascinating, vibrant culture, first class accommodation, food to die for and a naturally thrilling adventure playground.#
- We are Cornwall As a team of PR and marketing specialists who have been working with a wide range of companies in Cornwall for the last fifteen years, we decided that we could help by developing a new site that would effectively be a shop window for the county – signposting both residents and visitors to the many wonderful places, products and fascinating features that this lovely part of the world has to offer.
Fishing Tips (links courtesy of Elmer George)
- Improve Your Fishing Technique at Home: The Complete Guide to a Backyard Fishing Pond
- Tackle Organization Tips
- Live Bait Guide
- 10 Saltwater Night Fishing Tips for Maximizing Fishing Success
- Winter Fishing Tips and Tactics
- Fishing Techniques: Bring Your Catch Home Without Ice
- Jackie Stanley Estate Agents – based in Padstow and a fantastic supporter of the National Lobster Hatchery, if you are looking to move to Cornwall then Jackie Stanley comes highly recommended, they have a beautiful selection of properties.
- The Conference Guide Search thousands of conference venues online.
- The Naturesave Trust offer green insurance products to households, companies and charities throughout the UK.
- Matt Tutt Digital Marketing Matt has helped setup our new website and has been providing us with digital marketing services.
- Conservation Jobs Find career opportunities in land and marine based conservation around the UK.
- WiseOceans WiseOceans is a leading resource in marine conservation jobs, advice, news, events, marine education, information and recruiting marine educators.