at National Lobster Hatchery, Padstow, Cornwall
Closing date for applications: 10th March 2017, Interview date for shortlisted applicants: 20th March 2017
Expected Start Date: April 2017
A part time (4 mornings or 2 days a week) post with a starting salary of £18,500 (pro-rata) plus pension and 22 days paid annual leave (pro-rata), plus 8 Bank Holiday days per year (pro-rata).
The Organisation: The National Lobster Hatchery is found on the quayside in Padstow. The Charity aims to promote sustainability issues in coastal fisheries through programs of stock enhancement, research and education. It is supported by a busy Visitor Centre, corporate sponsorship, grants and donations.
Aim: To provide pro-active, efficient and comprehensive administration and secretarial support to the General Manager.
- Acting as “gatekeeper” for all contact with the General Manager.
- Phone Calls, Emails & Post – screening incoming and proactively responding, redirecting or escalating as appropriate.
- Diary Management – planning and booking activity to ensure efficient use of the General Manager’s time and ensuring that General Manager is fully prepared prior to meetings, visits etc.
- Travel – reviewing cost/time effective travel options and making necessary bookings.
- Drafting correspondence, reports and presentations for the General Manager’s review/approval.
- Taking Minutes as required, for instance at Staff, Trustee and Scientific Committee meetings.
- Assisting the general manager with Human Resources (recruitment, setting up appraisals and so on).
- Project Management – obtaining quotes and assisting with Project Planning.
- Maintain accurate details for the Charity’s contacts.
- Filing and general administration.
- Expenses – collating receipts and completing periodic submissions in a timely manner.
- Devise and maintain an effective follow-up system for responses, timelines etc.
- To carry out any other duties reasonably requested by the General Manager.
Essential Personal Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Excellent command of the English language, both verbally and in writing.
- High levels of tact and diplomacy.
- Able to observe appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- A keen eye for and good attention to detail.
- Displaying strong initiative alongside a pro-active and flexible attitude.
- Able to multi-task, work to deadlines and prioritise effectively.
- Able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Computer literate, particularly with regard to Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Numerate with high levels of accuracy.
An understanding of fisheries sustainability issues and/or experience in a marine research/conservation based role will be an asset but is not essential for this role, as will experience in the Charity sector.
Benefits of working with the Charity
- 22 days paid annual leave (pro-rata), plus 8 Bank Holiday days per year (pro-rata).
- Working for a charity and giving something back, ‘giving mother nature a helping hand to respond to modern pressures’
- Join Team Lobster, we are a fun team to work with, within a diverse and fascinating organisation (a world of marine conservation, lobster research, education, school visits, visitor centre, shop, online shop, events, fundraising).
For further information and to apply: Please send you CV with a formal covering letter outlining why you feel you are suitable for the role and what you can bring to the Charity to: email@example.com