Are you looking for a career with us at The National Lobster Hatchery?
Check our updated job list below and look to be part of this team of dedicated, motivated and fun staff.
Please do check on a regular basis so not to miss out, or give us a call on 01841 533877 to discuss.
- VACANCY for Seasonal Visitor Centre Assistant
Working in our busy visitor centre in Padstow, this is a seasonal post starting early July, finishing mid-September, hourly paid £7.85 per hour and 22 days paid annual leave, plus 8 Bank holiday days per year (pro rata). This position is still open to applications. The Organisation: The National Lobster Hatchery is located on the […]
- JOB VACANCY for a Cleaner
Permanent part time cleaner required at the National Lobster Hatchery in Padstow. Approximately 8 hours per week, the hours/day of work are flexible but preferably split over 3 mornings per week. Working at the Charity’s base in Padstow, this is a permanent part time post, 8 hours per week. Hourly paid £8.07 per hour, pension […]
- VACANCY Postdoctoral Research Associate / Postdoctoral Research Fellow
College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter Renewable Energy / Ecology and Conservation (Cornwall) Application closing date: 14/03/2018 The College wishes to recruit a Postdoctoral Research Associate / Postdoctoral Research Fellow to support the work of Prof Dave Hodgson and Prof Lars Johanning on a research project funded by BBSRC and Innovate […]
Want to do your bit to help sustainability of lobster stocks in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly?
Are you able to give us a little bit of your spare time?
Are you looking for work experience to boost your CV?
Do you have a skill that you think would benefit our Charity?
We are looking for a special team of people, with lots of different skills and passions, to help deliver the charity’s mission, whether you can spare a few hours a week, one day a month or even more, we need you! In order for us to provide an effective voluntary position it tends to work better if either you can commit to 1 or 2 days a week long term, or if it’s a one off placement, we ask for a minimum of two month’s commitment. We get a lot of requests for volunteering as it is such a unique project, and if you are lucky enough to be selected, we want you to make the most out of the opportunity.
Please be aware that as a small but rapidly growing charity, our work is quite diverse. While the majority of volunteers are interested in gaining aquaculture husbandry experience, we also need friendly faces to communicate our message to the public in the visitor centre, so preference will be given to volunteers who demonstrate a flexible attitude and an interest in cross departmental placements.
Assistant hatchery technicians
- Feeding post larvae, juveniles, broodstock, and aquarium exhibits
- Cleaning tanks
- Water quality/chemistry checks
- Assisting with the husbandry of brood stock
- A qualification in a relevant science which includes issues of sustainability and fisheries management preferred but not essential
Visitor Centre assistants (week days/ weekends during holidays)
- Greeting the general public
- Answering questions/queries from the public about the work undertaken at the hatchery
- Retail and aspects of sale (working in the shop)
- Data entry for gift aid
- This position requires basic computer knowledge and references to be provided
Event/Fundraisers for events (mainly weekends)
- Attending any of our events which includes fun events like The Big Swim, The Big Run, Fish Festivals etc
- Conversing with the general public about the important work that is undertaken at the hatchery
- Making the public aware they can become “Friends of the Hatchery” to show their support
- Applicants for this position must be friendly, approachable and confident
- General maintenance and painting
- Carpentry work
- Clearing and sweeping
- Painting the outside and inside of the hatchery
- Helping hatchery staff with modifications to the hatchery system
- support with web sales including Amazon and Ebay
- plenty of variety in the office, just answering the telephone would help
If you would like to apply for any of the volunteering opportunities above please send a copy of your CV, a covering letter and your available dates to Cat Wilding firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
One of our previous Volunteers
Charlotte Preston started volunteered with us to gain relevant work experience, having graduated from an Environmental Tourism & Sustainability degree. Months later, we were able to offer her paid work through the Access to Work Scheme to support a member of our research team in the hatchery.
She was undertaking mirco-biological analysis of lobster larvae & water samples and morphometric analysis of larvae & juveniles for our Framework 7 Research project. She also gained practical experience of husbandry techniques and the life support systems within the hatchery.
With her new found practical experience and a glowing reference, Charlotte gained full time employment in 2011 with the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth as an Aquarist and Diver.