Are you looking for a career with us at The National Lobster Hatchery?
Check our updated job list below and look to be part of this team of dedicated, motivated and fun staff.
Please do check on a regular basis so not to miss out, or give us a call on 01841 533877 to discuss.
We are always looking for enthusiastic people, with lots of different skills and passions, to help deliver the charity’s mission. Whether you can spare a few hours a week, one day a month or even more, we would love to hear from you!
Please be aware that as a small but rapidly growing charity, our work is quite diverse. While the majority of volunteers are interested in gaining aquaculture husbandry experience, we also need friendly faces to communicate our message to the public in the visitor centre, so preference will be given to volunteers who demonstrate a flexible attitude and an interest in cross departmental placements.
In order for us to provide an effective voluntary position it tends to work better if you can commit to a day a week long term, or for a one off placement, we ask for a minimum of two month’s commitment.
Assistant hatchery technicians
- Feeding larvae, juveniles, broodstock, and aquarium exhibits
- Cleaning tanks
- Water quality/chemistry checks
- Assisting with the husbandry of brood stock
- A qualification in a relevant science which includes issues of sustainability and fisheries management preferred but not essential
Visitor Centre assistants (week days/ weekends during holidays)
- Greeting the general public
- Answering questions/queries from the public about the work undertaken at the hatchery
- Data entry for gift aid
- This position requires basic computer knowledge and references to be provided
Event/Fundraisers for events (mainly weekends)
- Attending any of our events which includes fun events like The Big Swim, The Big Run, Fish Festivals etc
- Conversing with the general public about the important work that is undertaken at the hatchery
- Support with web sales.
- General Admin
- General maintenance and painting
- Carpentry work
- Clearing and sweeping
- Painting the outside and inside of the hatchery
- Helping hatchery staff with modifications to the hatchery system
If you would like to apply for any of the volunteering opportunities above please send a copy of your CV, a covering letter and your available dates to Chris Weston, email@example.com.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
One of our previous Volunteers
Charlotte Preston started volunteered with us to gain relevant work experience, having graduated from an Environmental Tourism & Sustainability degree. Months later, we were able to offer her paid work through the Access to Work Scheme to support a member of our research team in the hatchery.
She was undertaking mirco-biological analysis of lobster larvae & water samples and morphometric analysis of larvae & juveniles for our Framework 7 Research project. She also gained practical experience of husbandry techniques and the life support systems within the hatchery.
With her new found practical experience and a glowing reference, Charlotte gained full time employment in 2011 with the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth as an Aquarist and Diver.
- Fundraising/Business Development Volunteer needed – flexible hours by arrangement
Would you like to volunteer in a friendly office in Padstow Harbour supporting the fundraising team for The National Lobster Hatchery, a pioneering marine charity with a focus on conservation, education and research? Do you have basic office skills including using Word (and Excel preferably)? We particularly need help with following up our contacts by […]
- VACANCY for Seasonal Visitor Centre Assistant
POSITION FILLED. Working in our busy visitor centre in Padstow, this is a seasonal post starting early July, finishing mid-September, hourly paid £7.85 per hour and 22 days paid annual leave, plus 8 Bank holiday days per year (pro rata). The Organisation: The National Lobster Hatchery is located on the harbour wall in Padstow. The […]
- JOB VACANCY for a Cleaner
POSITION FILLED. Permanent part time cleaner required at the National Lobster Hatchery in Padstow. Approximately 8 hours per week, the hours/day of work are flexible but preferably split over 3 mornings per week. Working at the Charity’s base in Padstow, this is a permanent part time post, 8 hours per week. Hourly paid £8.07 per […]